Traveling is one of the most interesting ways to educate yourself. Tagged as getting a “global education”, it’s no wonder they say “travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer”.
The African continent remains a melting pot of experiences waiting to be explored. Like pages of a bestseller, Africa is a book that should not be left un-turned.
Unanimously identified as the cradle of humanity, the continent is a perfect tutor of history and culture. In the spirit of travel Nigerianreporter.com has curated an exclusive list of 5 places in Africa you need to explore.
- Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro: Nothing says daring more than climbing the highest mountain in Africa. Located in Tanzania, the climb promises a transition between five different climatic zones with different routes. It takes about 6 days to reach the Uhuru Peak, which offers one of the most amazing sunsets you can see on the continent. The best time to go on this adventure is January to mid-March when the weather is drier and warmer.
2. See Lalibela: If you’re intrigued by holy ruins this is your destination. Known to be one of the world’s earliest Christian nations; Ethiopia boasts the must see city of ancient churches carved from bedrock. Lalibela is a city lined with the historic story of humanity. Named after a saintly emperor, the city and its priests will leave you in awe.
3. Swim in the Devil’s Pool: With nothing less than 500 million gallons of water per minute flowing down a rock pool formed by years of erosion. The view from Devil’s Pool is not only spectacular, the fall (for the brave hearted) is said to be one of the most exhilarating. To reach this nature defined pool one has to make a rocky hike and then a swim through the Zambezi River, the fourth longest river in Africa, to reach Victoria Falls. This local is infamously called the Devil Pool’s because occasional deaths have been reported. In high season the entire rocky area is covered by flowing water.
4. Eat at the Tree Trout Restaurant: The Tree Trout restaurant is built inside a sacred fig tree and on top of a pond. Fresh grilled trout from the pond down below is the main menu item. Enjoy a seasoned three course meal and a “truly unique dining experience”, according to the restaurant’s official website.
5. See the Pyramids in Egypt: Listed as one of the seventh wonders of the world, the Great pyramids of Giza represent some of the most magnificent man-made structures of all time. Built to serve as a stairwell to heaven for the soul of the Pharaoh after he died, the historical relevance attached to the pyramids must feel utterly breathtaking walking through them. The Egyptian pyramids serve as a mystic glimpse into the past.
If this travel story peaked your interest read more of our travel stories here. Nigerianreporter.com presents Travel Thursday the last Thursday of every month. Get in on the conversation on Twitter or Facebook.