Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari was in Zamfara on Wednesday on a one day working visit as part of the 2016 Army Day celebration.
While addressing the troops of HQ 1 BDE in Dansadau Zamfara State, Buhari expressed optimism that the operations of the military in the area will lead to the restoration of economic activities of surrounding communities bedeviled by the menace of cattle rustling and banditry.
Below are 6 key notes in his address:
1. Buhari sympathized with the people of the area for the enormous losses they suffered as a result of the incessant activities of the insurgents and cattle rustlers.
2. He further urged the military to intensify and perfect current strategies, approaches, techniques and tactics towards curtailing all forms of lawlessness across the country.
3. Buhari noted that the Command Post Exercise reminds him of the importance of staff work in the field during the civil war in the 60s and the Chadian Operations in the 80s.
4. The president boasts that the Nigerian Armed Forces have been amply re-positioned more than ever before to resolutely confront contemporary and emerging security challenges in the country.
5. Urging the Armed Forces to leverage on the opportunity, Buhari said that the involvement of private partners in the defense sector especially in terms of provision of specialist equipment is a welcome development.
6. He assured the military that his government remains committed to ensuring that they are provided with the required resources and impetus to operate professionally and efficiently.