- The official name for Nigeria is the Federal Republic of Nigeria
2. The highest point in Nigeria is the mountain Chappal Waddi at 2,419 m (7,936 ft).
4. The Hausa, Fulani, Igbo and Yoruba constitute 70% of the countries ethnic groups.
6. Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and it’s the 7th most populated nation in the world.
7. There are over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria.
8. Nigeria is one of the oldest locations of human existence on Earth as evident with the Olduwan culture in Nigeria that existed between 5 – 2 million B.C.E. There are evidences of acheulian tools, which are parts of the early stone tools used by man in places like Oyo, Adamawa and Abia States showing carvings and engravings that date back to then.
10. Nigeria has 521 languages including 510 living languages, 2 second languages and 9 extinct languages.
11. Yoruba people from Nigeria and their blood lines worldwide have the highest rate of having twins in the world.
12. Nigeria’s population was just 16 million in 1911. It is projected to hit 444 million in 2050, surpassing the United States and becoming the fourth largest country in the entire world.
13. Ms. Fumilayo Ransome-Kuti was the first Nigerian woman to drive a car.
14. Nigeria has the highest paid government legislators in the world.
15. The name Nigeria was taken from the Niger River running through the country. This name was allegedly coined in the late 19th century by Flora Shaw, who later married Baron Frederick Lugard, a British colonial administrator.
16. A trip to the United Kingdom from Nigeria didn’t require a travelling visa until 1984 and a ticket to London was also less than N100 in 1975.
17. A derived language called Nigerian Pidgin English, also called the Pidgin or Broken English is the most popular lingua-franca in the country spoken by all ethnic groups.
18. Nigeria was declared a Republic on October 1, 1963 not 1960.
19. Nigeria boasts in being the most suitable habitat for the world’s largest pool of butterflies.
20. Ogun State has the highest number of universities in Nigeria with 9 universities.
21. Nigeria is the first country in Africa to contain the Ebola outbreak that recently hit many West African countries.
22. Taiwo Akinkunmi designed the Nigerian Flag
+ 1 There are 3 distinct systems of law in Nigeria including Common law, Customary law and Sharia law.