Chibok Parents to Identify Detained Girl in Cameroon

Breaking news from Nigeria and Africa

The Federal Government has commenced preparation for the process of verifying the claim by a suspected female suicide bomber who was intercepted in Northern Cameroon on Friday, before she could blow herself up that she is one of the 219 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in Chibok, Borno State in April 2014.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, disclosed that the Federal Government is arranging to send some members of the Chibok community to Cameroon in order to verify the claim.

Shehu said the Minister of Women’s Affairs, Senator Aisha Alhassan; and the Nigerian High Commissioner in Cameroon, Ambassador Hadiza Zakari Mustapha, had already swung into action and were receiving a lot of cooperation from the Cameroonian authorities.

He said the verification would be done because there was a doubt in the suspect’s claim following a piece of information that the two girls being detained in Cameroon were about 10 years old.