Nigerian Reporter brings you seven of the juiciest gossip headlines from last week. And maybe a few you might have missed from the top of this week.
1. Politics: One Nigerian tweets “Demola is stupid. Is, has been and will continue to be.” These words were retweeted by popular Nigerian activist, journalist and blogger Japheth J. (JJ) Omojuwa, Sunday, in light of the tragic death of the Minister of State for Labor, James Ocholi. Ocholi passed away in a car accident along with his son and wife, he was 55-years-old.
Although, it would seem political analyst, Demola Olarewaju weighed in on his death a little too soon for some Nigerians in the Twitter realm, Olarewaju was wondering what the Minister was doing in Kaduna State in the first place, he set Twitter ablaze in the figurative sense after this comment. Nigerian Reporter reached out to both activists for comment, we are yet to receive a response as of the date of this publication.
All in all may Ocholi and his family rest in peace.
2. Nigerian entertainment: The 2016 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCAs) brought out the best of the best of Nigerian and African talent, held Saturday at Lagos’ Eko Hotel and Suites, Nollywood actress Adesua Etomi won the award for “Best Actress” while Nollywood actor Daniel K. Daniel won “Best Actor”.
3. Nigerian diaspora entertainment US: In light of the upcoming release of the highly controversial biopic “Nina”, about the life of black activist Nina Simone. Uzo Aduba has been called as an actress who would have been a better pick for the role compared to Zoe Saldana. Nigerian-Brit David Oyelowo also stars in the film.
4. Nigerian diaspora entertainment UK: According to Entertainment Weekly, UK-based Nigerian rapper Tinie Tempah “name checks famous Harry Potter series author J.K. Rowling on a new track “Girls Like”, which begins with the line “tell J.K. I’m still rolling.” See the Twitter exchange that transpired after Rowling caught wind of the line via a fan on March 2nd.
J.K. Rowling ✔ @jk_rowling
@EmyBemy2 @TinieTempah I did not!
Tinie Tempah ✔ @TinieTempah
“@jk_rowling: @EmyBemy2 @TinieTempah I did not!” > Well, maybe you should have spent more time in Divination class. 😉 #GirlsLike ❤️
J.K. Rowling ✔ @jk_rowling
@TinieTempah @EmyBemy2 Divination is a very imprecise branch of magic!
5. Nigerian diaspora entertainment Canada: The only Nigerian-Canadian hockey player; Akim Aliu, is planting his roots on one of the Kontinental Hockey League’s Russian teams after a stint in the National Hockey League in Canada.
Aliu made his transfer to the KHL’s Amur Khabarovsk team in November 2015 and has an interesting history as he put on his first pair of skates at 10-years-old after moving from Nigeria to Ukraine and then to Canada. Being fluent in Russian helps him get in those shots as a forward for the KHL team. In an interview, Aliu says on the Amur blog (translated to English): “Here hockey is much different from North America. But the level of play is very high. In the OHL [Ontario Hockey League] there are some teams who play big ice hockey. I also played in Sweden. I had some experience of playing on the big ice”.
6. Environment: Multi-national oil firms continue to violate environmental laws in Nigeria, according to a report on the Premium Times Nigeria site, this is due to the weaknesses of local institutions in protecting the rights of the people that live in oil rich regions like Delta and Bayelsa State.
7. Blog gist: Beauty queen turned alleged mistress to powerful multi-million dollar mogul Aliko Dangote, Sylvia Nduka was accused of leaking her stories to blogs and press about her affair with the mogul.
The self-proclaimed leading African blogger on the continent, Linda Ikeji, got into a social media battle with Wizkid over allegedly publishing a bogus report about Wizkid being paid for a performance he did not show up at. Wizkid published a photo of Ikeji on his SnapChat with the words “almost 40, lonely and bitter, prayers are up”.
The blogger continues to be slammed by social media trolls and prominent Nigerian figures for being too obsessed with showing her possessions (like her Hermès bag) to the public and not spending enough time looking for a husband. Her final rebuttal in a series of tweets on March 2nd was “I might be SINGLE but I sure can buy anything that brings happiness including ANY MAN” #ArgueInYourDustBin.